Confused about Stephen R. Covey's concept of "the correct principles"
morningglory81
2004-10-25 21:07:47 UTC
Hello everyone,

Can anyone enlighten me about Stephen R. Covey's concept of "the
correct principles"? Covey at numerous times mentioned "correct
principles" and that we need to align our lives and values to them.
Covey mentioned several in his book (honesty, integrity, growth,
potential, excellence, etc.). The question is, how do we identify the
correct principles? For example is "temperance" a principle? How
about other concepts? Is "prudence" a principle? Is "frugality" a
principle? Is "discipline" a principle? How do we know if something
is a correct principle or not? Is there some sort of a test than we
can run?

Thank you very much.
repairmanjack
2004-11-07 00:42:27 UTC
Post by morningglory81
Hello everyone,
Can anyone enlighten me about Stephen R. Covey's concept of "the
correct principles"? Covey at numerous times mentioned "correct
principles" and that we need to align our lives and values to them.
Covey mentioned several in his book (honesty, integrity, growth,
potential, excellence, etc.). The question is, how do we identify the
correct principles?
Most people parrot what they have been told. Many people just accept
the 10 commandments, for example. IMO, before accepting any principle,
you should do some independent thinking. 'Honesty is the best policy'
is a principle. Do you agree? Why or why not?

I believe Covey is a Mormon and probably many of his values come from
religion. I also think he has considered values carefully and has some
good ones. I am not religious, but I agree with many of the values you
listed.
Post by morningglory81
For example is "temperance" a principle?
No, it would be a value...valuing moderation and self-restraint. A
principle concerning temperance might be 'self-restraint prevents
emotional decisions'. There is a difference between a value and a
principle. A value is something that you act to attain and keep. For
example, if you value honesty, you act in such a way as to be honest
and continue being honest. If you value your wife, you will act in
such a way that you keep her. There are moral values (honesty,
integrity, etc) and there are 'optional values', like what kind of
work you do, what sport you play, what kind of car you drive, what
food you like.

A principle is a fundamental statement of fact. The word 'fundamental'
is important. Here's a good example I heard in a lecture once. "If you
live in NYC and you need to go to the dentist during rush hour and you
will be traveling by subway, make sure to leave an hour early because
there might be delays." What would the fundamental principle be? "Plan
for contingencies". See how that principle is fundamental, meaning it
can apply to many situations?

How
Post by morningglory81
about other concepts? Is "prudence" a principle? Is "frugality" a
principle? Is "discipline" a principle?
No, they would be considered values.
Post by morningglory81
How do we know if something
is a correct principle or not? Is there some sort of a test than we
can run?
Yes, but it's not easy. First, you have to identify your standard of
value. My values are grounded in the requirements of human life.
Something is a value to me if it advances my life. Many people would
not agree with me. Terrorists do not value their lives. A thief does
not value his life. Someone that thinks he has original sin and lives
a life of self-punishment does not value their life.

But if, like me, you hold your life as your highest value, then that
would be the test you would use to determine your moral and optional
values, and to identify and examine principles.

This is a very short reply to a very big question.
Post by morningglory81
Thank you very much.
You are welcomed. You asked questions that more people should ask. If
you want to get further into this, I suggest reading 'Viable Values'
by Tara Smith.